Tea with digestives

my other blog tea with digestives

Friday 4 October 2013

my sewing corner


my sewing corner

Earlier this week my knitting teacher popped by to drop off her old Venus adjustable dressmaking mannequin and check out my new studio space.

I've been thinking about getting a mannequin and she was planning to sell hers so it was win win for us both. This one was made by a company called Venus sometime between the 1960s and 70s. 
It is made up of pieces that create the form and which can move apart through an easy to use turn and lock system.

The original sticker show how the turn and lock system works 


The adjustments are easy to moniter as there is a tape measure with the turn and lock system 




There is also a hem line checker which helps to mark out the hems on dresses and skirts evenly.

I would love a new sewing machine but have to make do with an inexpensive sewing machine which I bought for some sewing classes a few years ago. 


It's fairly basic but does a good range of stitches and is fine for simple sewing.


It works but bits like the thread spool holder have broken off and it can jamming or the thread break. I have sorted out the tensions etc. so hopefully it has life in it yet.

There is an old  vintage industrial singer machine in the house, that is working fine that belonged to my mother but my sister is going to give that a new home soon.


Next week when I visit the Knitting and Stitching show at Alexandra Palace  on from the 10th - 13th of October, I will be checking out the stalls selling fabric and haberdashery and ooohhing  the amazing sewing machines I'd love to own.

Currently my sewing fabric stash is low on large pieces but I do have lovely small pieces of Liberty Tana Lawn fabric left over from previous projects.



and some cute Hello Kitty fabric 


this is one of the Liberty art fabric Hello Kitty designs








No comments:

Post a Comment